SI Liaquat confesses killing of Rtd. Major Sinha

Staff Correspondent,
Photo: collected

Photo: collected

  • Font increase
  • Font Decrease

Former suspended sub-inspector in charge of Baharchhara police investigation center Liaquat Ali has given a confessional statement under section 164 in a Cox's Bazaar court in the Retired Major Sinha Rashed Khan murder case.

He was taken to the court of Senior Judicial Magistrate Tamanna Farah around 12 noon on Sunday (August 30). The statement was taken at around 4.30 pm. After giving the statement for about four and a half hours, Liaquat Ali was taken to the district jail.

Investigation Officer and Rab’s Senior Assistant Superintendent of Police Mohammad Khairul Islam, who is investigating the case, confirmed the information to reporters.

One day after the three-day remand was granted in the third phase, Rab took Liaquat Ali to court to give a confessional statement under section 164.

The court on Friday granted three-day remand to OC Pradeep Kumar Das, SI Liaquat Ali and ASI Nandadulal Rakshit in the third phase.

A day after the remand of the three was granted in the third phase, the dismissed SI Liaquat Ali was brought to the court under tight security to give a confessional statement under section 164.

Earlier on August 26, APBN member Md. Abdullah's confessional statement was taken. He said in his deposition that on the day of the incident, it seemed that sub-Inspector Liaquat was waiting for the victim.

Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, a former army officer, was shot dead by police at the Shamlapur check post in Teknaf on the night of July 31. He was returning to Nilima Resort in Himchhari, Cox's Bazaar, on Marine Drive, filming a mountain in Marishbunia. Police arrested cameraman Shahedul Islam Sifat who was with him at the time. Shipra Debnath was later arrested from Nilima Resort. Both are now out on bail. Major(Rtd) Sinha’s elder sister Sharmin Shahriyar Ferdous filed a murder case in the Cox's Bazaar Senior Judicial Magistrate's Court on August 5 in connection with the murder. Nine people were accused in this case. So far 13 accused have been arrested in the case. Among them 6 are police members and 3 are APBN members. The other 3 are witnesses in the police case.